wireless connection but no internet connection

the general 14:00 02 Jan 2006

I have wireless network set up recently all running XP SP2 - home computer connected by cable to router (Netgear DG834GT/GTB) and another pc wirelessly connected by adapter (Netgear WG311T) – working fine.
Another pc would not work with netgear adapter (amd incompatability!) so I have got a Linksys adapter WMP54G
I am able to connect with router but cannot access internet from this pc.
Looking at your forum I have tried a few things
eg

C:\Documents and Settings\aled>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : smyrff
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Wireless-G PCI Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-66-74-92-C8
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.247.85
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\aled>ping 127.0.0.1

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time 1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Documents and Settings\aled>ping google.com
Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again

This is the error message I get every time. I’m not very hot on techno and jargon and I have tried to click various things from network connections page but to no avail!

Also tried to ping 192.168.0.1 but get 100% loss

Please Help
By the way – Happy New Year – Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

mgmcc 16:00 02 Jan 2006

<<< Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
<<< Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
<<< Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.247.85
<<< Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
<<< Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
<<< DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

There is something strange there, because the "169.254" IP address indicates that the adapter has been unable to access the DHCP server (the router) to get its IP address and Windows has allocated a default 169.254 address. However, what is strange is that you do have the *correct* DNS server address, or have you have entered this manually in the adapter's TCP/IP settings?

The most common reason for not getting addresses by DHCP from the router is that the wireless adapter hasn't "Connected" to the wireless network, even though a strong signal may be shown. Did you run the Wireless Adapter's software to scan for "Available Networks", highlight the one with the SSID (network name) that matches that of your router and select the option to "Connect" to that network? Once connected, the little icon gets its "halo" to show it is connected and it should then get the correct IP address from the router.

the general 20:00 02 Jan 2006

Thanks for your response

I decided to reinstall the wireless network card again

When installing the adapter card and following instructions the instructions don’t match what exactly happens (it always happens to me!). Anyway an icon appears in sys tray (small screen with halo and red cross). When I double click the icon –“no networks are detected “ “Make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on”
I’m not sure what this is?

I tried to set the router to broadcast SSID but no networks detected.

Opened network connections –
General tab – all 4 boxes checked and TCIP/IP checked to obtain IP and DNS addresses automatically
Wireless network tab – preferred networks box is empty – clicked on ADD and entered name of my home network (Authentication – Open : Data encryption – WEP: key provided automatically . The name now appears in the box.

Back to Network connections – refresh – still no network connections found.

This happened to me first time round. I’m sending this to you at this stage for your comments and for advice on the next steps.
You’re all doing a great job. Thanks

the general 23:24 02 Jan 2006

The only way to some sort of connection is (wireless networks - properties - association)to check the box opposite "This is a computer to computer (ad hoc) network wap are not used" This does something to authentication IEEE 802 1x authentication cannot operate on ad hoc networks for which data encryption is disabled.

I am just a little confused!! not

the general 23:27 02 Jan 2006

Oh! by the way I'm back to where I was at the beginning!

Wireless network ARRRGGGHHHH Wireles notwork!

mgmcc 00:23 03 Jan 2006

<<< "This is a computer to computer (ad hoc) network wap are not used" >>>

You are not using an "Ad Hoc" network, you are using an "Infrastructure" (Access Point) network in which the connection is to the router, not directly to another computer.

<<< Wireless network tab – preferred networks box is empty – clicked on ADD and entered name of my home network >>>

Instead of clicking Add and entering details, what happens if you click "View Wireless Networks"? It should find and display your router and then you can click the Connect button. If necessary, you will be prompted to enter the encryption key to connect.

the general 20:18 07 Jan 2006

Sorry haven't been able to get back this week - back to school etc etc.Finally resolved problem by getting recent router upgrades and asking the router to generate security string which had to be entered manually on the problem computer.
Thanks mgmcc for your time.
Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?