I'll refer you to your third paragraph, and the advice that we often give about 3rd-party adpater sfotware:
Don't use it!!
1) Clear off the software via "Change or Remove Programs".
2) Uninstall the device from Device Manager.
3) Reboot. Run a cleanup with your preferred cleanup utility.
4) Insert your driver CD, but cancel it if it starts to run. DO NOT let it run.
5) Insert the PC Card or USB adapter.
6) Wait for the "New Hardware Found" wizard to begin and point it to the CD when prompted to search for a driver. Alternatively, download the latest driver from the manufacturer's support site and save it in a convenient location.