Wireless connection issues - 2 laptops

gbdru2 17:19 23 Sep 2007

OK, I'm running a cable modem that has two connections, one RJ45 that runs to the internet and one marked 'Ethernet' that I've connected to a wireless router.

The wireless router has 4 LAN ports and an 'internet' port.

Here's the issue(s) The light on the cable modem remains amber regardless of which connection/port I use at the other end (router internet, router LAN or PC Ethernet)- Should be 'green' However it does work

Surfing the web however is only possible if I connect the Ethernet port from the modem to the LAN port. if I try and connect it to the internet port , then I can't surf.

I seem to be able to connect both laptops to the LAN but only one of them can access the internet. internet connection sharing is enabled on both

any ideas on getting both laptops on the net at the same time?

mgmcc 17:55 23 Sep 2007

<<<< OK, I'm running a cable modem that has two connections, one RJ45 that runs to the internet and one marked 'Ethernet' that I've connected to a wireless router.>>>>

If you are running a *CABLE MODEM* (as in Virgin Media, formerly NTL/Telewest) then it has an ETHERNET port and a USB port. You can use either to connect with a computer, but not both simultaneously. The actual internet connection is via the coaxial cable that comes in from the street.

To connect a router to the Cable Modem, power everything off, including the Cable Modem which must be left without power for three or four minutes - this is IMPORTANT so that it loses the association between the existing connection (recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address that it has allocated to it.

Connect a network cable between the router's WAN port and the Cable Modem's Ethernet port. Connect a second network cable between the PC's network port and one of the Router's LAN ports. Power on the Cable Modem and, when fully booted with all lights displayed, power on the Router. When the router is fully up and running, boot the PC. The Cable Modem will recognise a new connection and allocate a different IP address to it.

If you now type the Router's IP address into your web browser you should be able to open its configuration pages to set it up for wireless networking. You do not need to be connected to the internet to access the router's configuration pages from your web browser.

As far as connecting to the ISP is concerned, "Cable" uses the very basic setting to connect and get its addresses by DHCP. It doesn't use PPPoE and you don't enter a Username/Password. The actual description varies from router to router so if you need further help with this setting, post back with the router's options.

<<<< I seem to be able to connect both laptops to the LAN but only one of them can access the internet. >>>>

Only one computer can get online because the router isn't connected correctly. Instead of allocating LAN IP addresses to the computers, it is passing the WAN IP address to one computer and only that one will get online.

<<<< internet connection sharing is enabled on both >>>>

Internet Connection Sharing *MUST NOT* be enabled on any connection in any of the networked computers when using a router.

gbdru2 18:37 23 Sep 2007

"If you are running a *CABLE MODEM* ... then it has an ETHERNET port and a USB port. ... The actual internet connection is via the coaxial cable that comes in from the street."

Yes I used to be on telewest so I'm familiar with that. However, now I'm in Hong Kong :) On checking I've thrown you a slight curve ball. It's an adsl modem - a Huawei SmartAx MT880 (click here) It has only 3 connections in the back. Power, Ethernet and ADSL connection. No USB

The Adsl connection I've connected to a wireless router (click here) but as i said it only works if I connect to a LAN port rather than the 'internet' port -

I've done all the powering down thing and can connect one laptop to the internet ok, PPPoe is fine, I can connect to the ISP and such - my trouble lies with two - probably because of the LAN/WAN IP thing you mentioned - How do I get it to do that?

mgmcc 19:23 23 Sep 2007

I have Virgin Cable, so I've no actual experience of running a separate Router and ADSL modem, but in theory, the ADSL modem needs to be set up so that when powered on it will automatically connect to the ISP. The router's WAN port then connects to the ethernet port on the modem and it should get the IP address allocated by the ISP as its WAN address. The networked computers connect to the router's LAN ports and get an IP address in one of the address ranges reserved for Local Area Networks, most commonly a 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x range.

As I understand it, the Modem and not the Router establishes the connection, so a Username/Password and PPPoE/PPPoA protocol isn't used in the router, it just gets its addresses by DHCP from the ADSL Modem.

Ashrich 21:17 24 Sep 2007

Might the ADSL modem and the wireless router have the same IP address , hence when plugged into the WAN port it doesn't work , click here this is for an Indian ISP but the theory is the same , note the MT880 and the wireless router start by having the same IP address .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017