Wireless Connection Issue

Scooby1928 11:56 30 Aug 2007

Hello,

I'm hoping someone out there can help.

I'm having terrible trouble setting up a wireless connection on a HP laptop.

I have set up countless wireless connections in the past without issue, but this one is driving me mad!

The laptop is running Vista Home. The router is a Draytek Vigor 2800G

The driver for the wireless card is up to date and the device is working properly however it I do an IPCONFIG /ALL, it states that the media is disconnected

It just cannot see the wireless network. It can pick up OTHER wireless networks (he neighbours for example) so I know the wirless card is not faulty and it swiched on etc but not this one.

I have even moved all security from the wireless network and it STILL can't even see that the wireless network exists!

I have 2 laptops, the other can pick up the wireless network without issue so I know the router is working, etc.

Does anyone out there have any ideas what might be causing this?

brundle 12:27 30 Aug 2007

Changed wireless channel? Tried the card in another laptop? SSID broadcast on?

Scooby1928 12:31 30 Aug 2007

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, tried changing the channel, no joy.

The card is built-in but I know the card is ok becuase it can pick up other wireless networks in range, just not the right one.

SSID broadcast is on.

Thanks again.

wky 13:41 30 Aug 2007

you might have to set the router to allow clients other than the ones it specified. so maybe you haven't allowed your laptop access but have allowed another computer? that might be the problem, but I don't know.

Scooby1928 13:46 30 Aug 2007

wky - thanks for your reply.

The router has MAC address authentication set on it, but the MAC address for this new laptop is stored in there.

It's bizarre, I know the router/wireless network is ok becuase the other laptop will connect, and I know the laptop/wireless card is ok because it can find other networks in range.

Just THIS laptop won't find MY wireless network! arrgghhh!!

^wave^ 13:55 30 Aug 2007

check out windows fire wall and windows defender just in case the problems there

Scooby1928 13:58 30 Aug 2007

^wave^ - Thanks for your reply.

I'll check this out, I did switch off the firewall all together at one point to see if that was the cause, it wasn't.

But i haven't looked at Windows Defender yet.

I'll give it a go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone