Wireless Connection 'Help Needed'

Supertramp 10:20 06 Sep 2008

Hi

I have just purchased my daughter a Dell Inspiron 1525 wireless laptop. Her mate who she rents a room from is connected to Virgin.

She has informed me that using the wireless finder nothing was found so I presume it is a modem only connection. Am I right in thinking that to share a connection she will need to purchase a cable wireless router.

Also, are they easy to set up. Any advice/help would be much appreciated.

mgmcc 17:07 06 Sep 2008

If your daughter's friend is connected directly to a Virgin *CABLE MODEM* then to share the connection and with one or more computers connecting "wirelessly", it will be necessary to use a wireless "Cable/DSL" router.

Be sure that you know what type of broadband it is, because Virgin provide both Cable and ADSL services. With their ADSL, you would use a *combined* "Router & ADSL Modem", replacing an existing USB Modem.

chaudha 22:03 06 Sep 2008

Yes, there are two types of router; for modems (little boxes that your isp provides and you plug into your computer) and for ADSL (internet through telephone line).

Purchase a wireless cable modem router, if that's the internet she has, and connect it to the modem. You need to find out what kind of range she wants. If it's not very big then there are loads of routers to choose from. Netgear and Belkin are popular and tend to be straight forward to set up.

dawood 02:08 07 Sep 2008

If that modem comes with Ethernet RJ45 port, then you can also just buy a wireless router to set up a simple wireless network click here

Supertramp 06:43 07 Sep 2008

Many thanks for your replies and info. I will contact them and check which type of connection Virgin have supplied and go from there.

Will let you how how it goes? Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone