Wireless connection gradually fades

Danny D 00:07 02 Jul 2006

Hello

Any Ideas I am running a Netgear wireless ADSL router with a Desktop (wired) and a Laptop (wireless) since beginning of April. For the first 5 weeks everything was fine. But since then the connection speed to the laptop gradually fades. The distance from the router has not changed nor any other physical condition. I can "repair" the connection back up to 54bps but it gradually goes back down to 1 or 2 bps.

The connection is securely encrypted using a WAP key that is very long.

Any ideas?

Danny

Nazzarenu Boy 07:25 02 Jul 2006

maybe its the wap key

try removing it ... test the connection without it ..... and then encrypt the connection again. I'm not sure if that will work.
But a try is better than nothing

De Marcus™ 08:27 02 Jul 2006

802.11g networks are in the 2.4ghz band and as such are open to interference from mundane household objects such as cordless phones, microwaves and various bluetooth devices. Personally, I've never seen any one of those intefere with a network (not saying it's not possible, just that I've never experienced it).

The most common reason I've come across is new networks nearby, usually solved by changing the channel on the router.

Another thing to try would be to find out which direction your router's aerial is transmitting in, is it an omni or directional, if it's the latter, point it toward wherever your working.

Danny D 09:21 02 Jul 2006

Hello

I forgot to say in my original post.... I did change the channel number on the network in case there were new networks in the area sharing the same channel but it made no difference.

As for the direction of the aerial it is 'omni'. But that would make no differnce. We are not using the laptop in any different places, at any different distances and with no environmental changes (microwave ovens , cordless phones etc) than when we first set the network up.

The mystery continues......the only thing I can think of is that the router is faulty unless anyone can come up with something else.

Danny

www.int2one.com 15:43 05 Jul 2006

has there been any additional internet software installed on your computer which could be taking up a fair bit of bandwidth.

fitshase 17:31 06 Jul 2006

Could be the firmware.

I have the Netgear DG834g router and had the same problem (along with the router dropping the internet connection often).

Upgraded to the latest firmware and all is well (part of the firmware documentation says that it improves the wireless performance).

Fitshase

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

These beautiful, mesmerising & subtle GIFs celebrate 30 years of the artform

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017