Wireless connection dropping out - frequently

geordiepaul2001 16:05 09 Oct 2010

Hi all,

I used an Acer aspire 5536 laptop to connect to my Virgin media broadband service via a belkin wireless G plus MIMO router.
The problem is that the router disconnects on a regular basis, sometimes it lasts 30 minutes, but often its more like 5 minutes.

I have tried changing the channel, updating the drivers for my wireless card and checking firewall settings.

What other checks can I carry out to get to the source of the problem?

Paul

geordiepaul2001 20:04 09 Oct 2010

Just to add that I have also updated the routers firmware and this has not stopped the connectivity issues.

dms_05 08:25 10 Oct 2010

How far is the laptop away from the router? It sounds like a reception issue and repositioniing the router/laptop even by a small distance may help.

onthelimit 09:31 10 Oct 2010

You say the router drops out - do you mean that the laptop loses connection with the router or that the router loses connection to broadband?

geordiepaul2001 14:37 10 Oct 2010

The broadband remains as it should, the router seems to drop the connection and needs to be power cycled to get it working.

The router sits on top of the bluray player and I am literally five feet away on the setee with the laptop.

onthelimit 14:46 10 Oct 2010

I'm still a bit confused - switching a router off and on again is normally to reconnect to the broadband. To identify which is what (!) have you an ethernet cable to connect to the router to see if the connection becomes stable. If it does it's the WiFi, if not, it's the router to exchange.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?