Wireless connection "dropping"?

Grumbul 09:49 13 Apr 2007

I have been experiencing some ongoing issues with my wireless connection that has finally pushed me to the limits of my patience through frustration and lack of a solution thus far.

Here’s pleading to the knowledgeable folks out there to shed some light on this issue !

I am using a Dell Latitude D810 laptop along with a BT Voyager 2100 wireless router.

The problem is that quite frequently I will be browsing a site and my connection “sort of” drops.

I say “sort of” because :

e.g. I can still view any pages throughout a forum and visit new threads etc BUT if I try and follow a link or a page has a picture posted then it appears as if my connection has dropped – “Problem Loading Page”.

e.g If I am using google and have loaded several pages from there then all of a sudden any new pages I try to access show “Problem Loading Page” but anything already accessed shows up fine and can be browsed and in many cases internal links still followed.

Once this has occurred which can happen anywhere from 3-4minutes to 2-3 hours from making a connection to the router then any NEW pages that I try to view are also showing “Problem Loading Page”, e.g. Google.

The ONLY way I can fix this once this happens is to turn off the router and wait 10-15 seconds and turn it back on.

I have checked the more obvious things such as :

1) unplugged and removed batteries from my cordless phone
2) ensured microwave has been turned off during a test period
3) changed my router’s channel (tried 1 and 11)
4) turned off all the encryption (wireless security)

Nothing changes, I just get this periodic lock down of accessing new web pages. Now I have played online games on this connection and the signal almost never drops even during 6-7 hour sessions (maybe twice in 6 months). However if during one of these sessions I tabbed back to my desktop and accessed a webpage and did some browsing the connection would again drop for new webpage access but the game would still be fine.

The problem can occur several times in an hour or sometimes all will be fine for 2-3 hours before it strikes.

Using the Repair function from my desktop does nothing to fix the problem, I actually have to get up and power down the router before turning it back on and re-establishing a connection.

Problem occurs both in Firefox and Internet Explorer.

I have tried two completely separate laptops, both are Dell Latitude D810’s :

Pentium M 2.13GHz, 787 MHz, 1.00GB RAM

The laptops were purchased approximately 14months apart. Problem occurs on both.

If hard-wired direct to the modem/phone neither laptop drops a connection.

I honestly am getting so frustrated with this and it absolutely destroys my online browsing experience.

Please anyone with any constructive input/suggestions I would sincerely love to hear from you.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope I have provided sufficient information to start some diagnostic work.

mocha 21:07 13 Apr 2007

Wireless Network's at the moment are not as reliable as Ethernet connections, there are many reasons why a wireless connection may fail and then reconnect, examples: microwave disruption (as you pointed out), where you are in the house. Wall, ceiling thickness between you and router causing signal dropout. Other local wireless connection's interfering with your's. Weather conditions, the list is almost endless. At the moment I believe we are using the 2.4GHz frequency range and now there are talks of using 5GHz range. Whatever range we use there will be interference.

david-395582 15:38 02 Apr 2008

grumbul...
did you ever get this sorted out?

i have exactly the same problem with my 2 laptops. they will even lose connections when i'm only a couple of feet from the router.

very frustrating, does anyone know the solution ?

ambra4 01:58 03 Apr 2008

Network Connection Setting On All Computers

Click-Start- Setting-Network Connection-New Connection Wizard

Select-Connect to the Internet-Next

Select-Set Up My Connection Manually-Next

Select-Connect using a broadband connection that is always on

Next-Finish

Router Setting To Be Check

Enable Quality Of Service- Tick

Keep Alive- Tick

Tick-Dial on demand (with idle timeout timer)– Change from 0 to 4320

Hard wire Lan Card Setting

Right click on Local Area Connection Display Icon on task bar

Click Status-General-Properties

At the top of display the type of Lan card will be displayed

Click Configure-Click-Advanced Tab

Click- Flow Control-Change to Enabled if Disabled

Click-Power Management Tab

Untick if selected "Allow Computer to turn this device off to save power

Lesley ann 21:11 03 Apr 2008

I have a simialr problem, our family have 2 out of 3 laptops that work great but only one that loses its network connection, works great for sometimes about an hour then i get limited access.
It still happens when its the only one being used. ANY SUGGESTIONS......... going mad with it now - I am using windows vista so couldn't quite get to grips with the instructions from ambra4 - please HELP tried I think everything?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?