Wireless connection constantly terminating

GarregWen 14:35 15 Nov 2007

Help……from a frustrated not fully au fax IT user. I note there have been several past discussions on this subject but none look identical to my particular problem.

I have a Linksys SRX 200 wireless router which works perfectly well in sending a good and constant signal to my mobile and other laptop, however, my wife’s HP Invent, Windows XP Pro Version 2002 SP2 loaded laptop with a pre installed Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN has a problem in maintaining a continuous connection.

It initially connects successfully but after some 5 mins or so this terminates. One way of resolving this has been to go to the start button, click on run, type ‘services.msc’ which takes me into ‘Services’, scroll down to ‘Wireless Zero Configuration’ click on ‘restart service’ which it does and then I get a connection again, but only for a short while. I should add the signal strength is at, or near its maximum.

I am not running Zone Alarm firewall only Microsoft’s own. And I can’t think of any other conflicting software, although there is a pre install Norton virus program has expired. I use Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers and both suffer the same result.

Quite simply, how do I reconfigure the set up retain a permanent connection?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?