Wireless connection

mikel1878 19:52 14 Jun 2007

Hi
A few months ago I bought a laptop with wireless internet facilities. I was able to connect to the internet quite easily. For the last few days my laptop cannot find the router no matter how many times I "refresh the network list". This is even when the laptop is only a couple of feet away. My daughter also has a laptop and she can connect anywhere within the house or garden. Is it likely to be a fault with the laptop or have I managed to disconnect something? What can anyone suggest? All thoughts welcomed.
Regards Mike

mikel1878 20:00 14 Jun 2007

I forgot to mention that I am picking up a few of the neighbours wireless networks if that makes a difference.

postie24 20:02 14 Jun 2007

Is the wireless lan enabled on laptop?
Click start/run type in, services.msc
Scroll down to wireless zero and make sure its running in services.

mikel1878 20:08 14 Jun 2007

Hi postie
Wireless zero configuration status is "started" and the starup type is "automatic". I have been trying now for the last 30 minutes and all I can find are the neighbours.

postie24 20:12 14 Jun 2007

Thats quite strange,have you hidden the SSID in the router homepage and its not showing in the available networks?

mikel1878 20:14 14 Jun 2007

How can I find that out?

skidzy 20:15 14 Jun 2007

Assuming you have xp and a flashdrive or memory card with reader:

Goto control panel and select wireless network wizard on the host pc (one connected via the router) and follow the prompts.

This will carry over all the settings from the host pc to the laptop.

Dont forget you will need your encrytpion key for the security if enabled.

postie24 20:19 14 Jun 2007

Type in your router homepage in your address browser,
Will be something like 192.168.1.1
The last two numbers differ from router to router.try that one or try 1.0 1.2 2.1
Once its up click security/wireless
enter username and password and have a look if SSID is enabled.

mikel1878 20:20 14 Jun 2007

I know this makes me seem stupid (I'm not really) but in control panel there is no wireless network wizard. In Network Connections there is nothing that mentions wireless connections, only creating a new connection hard wired. My desktop doesn't have wireless a facility.

skidzy 20:28 14 Jun 2007

I take you are using xp sp2 ?

Im on a Vista machine at the moment so my memory is a bit slow.

Try switching control panel to classic view and look for Wireless network wizard.

mikel1878 20:40 14 Jun 2007

Postie - finally got it, it is now enabled.
skidzy - I am using the original xp not sp2. also I am in classic view but no wireless wizard.
I just tried again and I got connected! Thanks for your help, I will have to take lessons in this computing thing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?