Wireless connection

Night Ryder 20:43 05 Nov 2004

I am thinking about using a wireless modem to connect two or three PC to the internet at home.

Under normal circumstances it is necessary to attach filters for every other phone on the system.

Am I right in assuming that if I use a wireless system I only have to attach filters to the connection with the wireless modem or will I still have to fit filters to everything else?

mgmcc 21:29 05 Nov 2004

I wouldn't have thought the fact that the modem and PC talk to each other wirelessly instead of over a cable would make any difference to the need for filters.

However, if you intend connecting more than one PC, you will require a "router", rather than just a wireless modem.

fly2hi 23:30 05 Nov 2004

Thinks yes, if you're going to use a phone to access the 'talky' bit on your broadband line, then yes, you'll need a filter to get to it regardless of which socket you use, they all connect to the same line.

mrdsgs 09:17 06 Nov 2004

the modem will not be wireless, it will connect to the bt phone socket with an rj11 cabland assuming we are talking about broadband, it will need a microfilter to connect to the bt socket, it then gives one socket for broadband and one for you phone.

EVERY other phone socket on the line needs a microfilter IF it has telephone/modem equipment connected to it.

Your proposed "wireless modem" will presumably be a combined modem/router, that will then enable a wireless or wired network link to other computers. Each machine will therefore need either a wired (very cheap) or wireless network card (more expensive and you should get 54mbps 802.11g cards)Most modem/routers include 4 wired sockets and have a firewall built in.

mrdsgs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?