wireless connected but no internet explorer

User-1224362 14:11 16 Dec 2007

I purchased a laptop wireless and in the beginning was able to connect at the hotel-strong signal, and access Internet Explorer and to any website.
I then established a dial up connection, and right around the same time downloaded Windows Defender the Microsoft firewall.
Now, I am still able to connect to the wireless network, with a strong signal, however, I get the message that Internet Explorer cannot connect ....
I am wondering if this would have anything to do with my Windows firewall. I see where you have to "allow exceptions" and Internet Explorer is not checked, however, being a novice computer owner, Im leary of changing settings. (My "internet options" seem to be set correctly) Has anyone encountered this and if so, how was it resolved. Thank you in advance, I appreciate any help offered.

User-1224362 14:23 16 Dec 2007

Hi again, the actual message to the above question says "Internet Explorer cannot display this page." Thanx

brundle 14:26 16 Dec 2007

Close Internet Explorer, remove the Internet Explorer entry from the firewall list, start Internet Explorer, if a firewall warning appears click Unblock.
Windows Defender is an anti-spyware app not a firewall - its possible that it detected some unwanted software on your PC and removed it, damaging the network stack. Try these if the above has no effect.
click here
click here

One at a time and reboot after running each one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?