Wireless connected but can't open web pages.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:59 18 Nov 2006

Orange wireless and talk.
works ok on LAn cable on 3 different machines.
works ok on wireless withe built in wireless card on medion PC running XP.

Trying to connect a Livebox to a laptop (win2k)with a wireless g USB adaptor.
All drivers loaded, third party wireless adaptor program shows connected at
signal strength 100%
link quality 99%

Network connection shows connected / this device is working properly

DHCP is enabled, Autoconfiguration is enabled,
IP address 169:254:43:38
Subnet mask 255:255.0.0
Default gateway no value ???
DNS servers no value ???

winsockfix has been run still same

Please tell me what I need to do to beable to open a web page

postie24 20:23 18 Nov 2006

Open Network Connections

Click the local area connection you want to configure, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.

On the General tab, in This connection uses the following items, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.

On the Alternate Configuration tab, click User configured. Type the values for the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway.

Note

• To open Network Connections, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.

• If you currently have TCP/IP configured to obtain an IP address automatically, you must manually configure a TCP/IP address and subnet mask in order to configure a default gateway.

Also is the dns client running in local services? hope this helps fruitbat/\0/\

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:59 19 Nov 2006

Thanks for the help

DNS client running ok

On the Alternate Configuration tab, click User configured. Type the values for the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway.

No alternate tab in win 2k
Use the following IP address ticked
have input the same figures I get on my desk top wirelss setting (then disabled desktop wiresless to use laptop)

Web pag hangs for a while on dectecting proxy settings then come sam as before "This page cannot be displayed .."

Any more help appreciated

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:22 19 Nov 2006

Laptop connects OK using cable to Livebox and pages open ok.

postie24 15:27 19 Nov 2006

Fruitbat/\o/\ i reckon it must be something to do with enabling encryption.You have to carry the security key from the medion to the other laptop.Am impressed with all the help you give to other forum members.Wish i had as much knowledge on computing as you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:39 19 Nov 2006

Thanks for the compliment but this one has got me stumped.

Have noticed that MAC address on wirless connection is different from that on sticker on Livebox, do I need to and is there anyway can change it?

postie24 16:19 19 Nov 2006

Under Windows, the MAC address is stored in a registry key. To change a MAC address, find that key with `regedit` and change it. Of course, Microsoft keeps moving the location of the key around!

Windows XP adds an option to change the MAC address on some network cards under the Advanced tab in the network adapter's Properties menu.

A much easier and more reliable method to change a MAC address under Windows is to use a software utility program designed to do this for you.

Macshift is a free utility that you can use to spoof your MAC address under Microsoft Windows.
Hope this helps

postie24 16:27 19 Nov 2006
  Brian-336451 16:07 25 Nov 2006

Are you still having the problem?

postie24 16:17 25 Nov 2006

I wondered that aswell

Brian-336451 16:23 25 Nov 2006

click here

This sorted my problem out, I'd never heard of this before - but sort it out it did.

Good luck. I've Acrobatted it and saved the process.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?