Wireless card intalling on old laptop

Ruthless 15:02 02 Apr 2006

We have a wireless router installed which works with a PC and a laptop, we wanted to enable my old FIC A430 (Time) laptop, which is running on Windows 98 SE, to use the system. We have tried 2 different PCMCIA wifi cards but they seem to freeze the system and won't install, the computer indicated that the PCMCIA ports are OK, and the cards indicate that they should work with Windows 98 SE, but we are getting no joy. The computer handbook suggested disabling the internal modem, so I have done that, but don't yet know if it will work. Any more suggestions? Thanks

woodchip 15:08 02 Apr 2006

Did you load the Software Drivers before plugging the card in?????

Ruthless 15:14 02 Apr 2006

Yes we installed the drivers of the CD provided, but everything froze when the card was put in

Ruthless 15:14 02 Apr 2006

Yes we installed the drivers on the CD provided, but everything froze when the card was put in

woodchip 16:17 02 Apr 2006

Copy the software drivers to the Desktop, Start in Safe Mode and try putting it in, in safe mode

dms05 16:40 02 Apr 2006

How old is the laptop? Does the PCMCIA card actually fully insert? Originally PCMCIA Cards were 16 bit and called PCMCIA. Later they became 32 bit and were called Card Bus. Look in Device Manager and see what it describes them as. If the laptop is old then it's possible the PCMCIA card won't fully insert - Card Bus cards have some small bumps on them close to the connectors to stop 32 bit cards fitting into 16 bit slots - 16 bit cards will however fit and work in 32 bit slots.

Ruthless 20:15 02 Apr 2006

Thanks woodchip I'll try that tomorrow. The information with the computer says the ports support 32bit and 16 bit cards. I tried a Belkin card and that didn't seem to go in all the way, but the other one I tried seemed to fit it the slot with no difficulty, but then wasn't recognised. The computer is 5 years old, I do have another, but would like to get this WiFi enabled if I possibly can.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?