Wireless card can't connect, stuck on acquiring ip address

quakergirl 08:55 04 Jan 2014

I'm running a desktop PC with XP and a Belkin wireless G card. It's unable to connect to my network, seems to get stuck at acquiring the ip address. Other computers in the house have no problem and I can connect with a cable, but due to the location of the computer this isn't very convenient and I'd rather get the wireless connection working if possible. I've tried enabling/reenabling the card, reinstalling the driver, the repair option and this solution: 1.On Windows XP, click Start, Run, type cmd, click Ok. 2.Once you have a command prompt, first type “ipconfig /flushdns”. 3.Next, type “ipconfig /release”. 4.Then, type “ipconfig /renew”, all to no avail.

My knowledge is limited so I dont know if this is significant but in the page for my card in device manager, under the Advanced tab, Network Address the button marked Not present is selected and the box for Value is blank.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated Penny

Secret-Squirrel 10:24 04 Jan 2014

"........... a Belkin wireless G card. It's unable to connect to my network"

Has it ever worked?

quakergirl 10:32 04 Jan 2014

Yes!

Secret-Squirrel 10:51 04 Jan 2014

Have you made any changes to the router's configuration such as wireless security type or password? If you haven't then turn the router off for a minute then turn it back on again.

"under the Advanced tab, Network Address the button marked Not present is selected and the box for Value is blank."

That's the default for network adapters and is therefore completely normal.

quakergirl 15:13 04 Jan 2014

Thanks for your reply secret squirrel. No I haven't made any changes to the router and I've turned it off and on numerous times. Sounds like a new wireless card might be the only answer, but thanks for your help

Secret-Squirrel 19:39 04 Jan 2014

Thanks for the info Penny.

When a wireless connection stalls at the "acquiring IP address" stage it's sometimes caused by an incorrect password. The next thing to try is to delete the saved wireless network and then reconnect - see here. Make extra sure you type the correct password - if you're in any doubt then login to your router to see what the wireless password is.

If that doesn't help then plan B is to assign your wireless adapter a fixed IP address so it doesn't need to ask for one from your wireless router. I'm not convinced it'll help but it's worth trying. If you need step-by-step instructions then post your router details and I'll reply in the morning.

quakergirl 19:31 05 Jan 2014

Hi again,

Sorry I haven't been able to get back to this till this evening. Just tried deleting the saved wireless network, but still the same problem, so I guess it's worth trying the fixed IP address. Not sure how much detail you need on the router, but it's a BT Home Hub 3

Many thanks Penny

Secret-Squirrel 10:20 06 Jan 2014

".......it's a BT Home Hub 3"

Thanks - that's all I wanted to know.

Follow the instructions for XP here to get to the window where you can input fixed IP addresses. When you get there, make a note of the original settings so you can put them back if it doesn't work. Add the following addresses:

IP Address: 192.168.1.250

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254

Preferred DNS: 192.168.1.254

Restart your computer after applying those changes. If it doesn't work then return things back to how they were.

Having said all that, if your problem's very recent (less than two weeks old) then an XP System Restore may work better - especially as you've said that no changes have been made to your router. You'll find step-by-step instructions here if you need them. You won't lose any personal documents or e-mails but it will remove any programs or updates that were installed after the date you choose. Pick a date on the calendar that pre-dates your problem but don't go further back than you need to.

onthelimit1 15:38 06 Jan 2014

I'd suggest you download Winsockfix on another computer and save it to a memory stick. Run it on the one you're having problems with.

Link to download site is here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?