Wireless Card?

  Hannah369 18:15 04 Aug 2006

Hi, im new to this, and not very good with computers, so i thought i'd turn here for advice. I've recently bought a laptop, a HP Pavilion dv4000, and in october i plan to move to australia for a year travelling. When i bought the computer the guy who sold it to me said that it had a wireless connection and that it has a slot on the left hand side for a card. He said that you can buy cards like top up cards for phones which allow you to connect to the internet, and pay like you would a phone for the time you use. I've been searching the internet for information, but haven't come up with any! does anyone know if these cards exist? how much they cost and where to buy them from!? haha, as you can gather, im a novice in computing terms, so sorry if theres not enough technological information!

Please help!

  FelixTCat 18:23 04 Aug 2006


What I think he meant is that you use a single wireless network card in the laptop but buy network connection time. You normally buy this as scratchcards - scratching reveals a code which you use when you log on to a wireless access point.

There are a lot of systems in the UK, most of which are not interoperable; also, you often have to use the network card in one go, i.e. one hour connection time means one unit of one hour, not 10 separate units of 6 minutes.

As an example, have a look at this site: click here It will give you an idea of how it works.



  ade.h 18:24 04 Aug 2006

A 3G PCMCIA card.

Actually, slap my wrist; PCMCIA is no longer the "now" term - they are all called Express cards now apparently!

About £200 ish from Vodafone or Orange in the UK. Aussie suppliers will be different of course.

  ade.h 18:26 04 Aug 2006

No, I think she's getting at the 3G thing.

I use it myself when travelling.

You can do PAYG or contract. About £2 per MB so not for the P2P types! Just for essential communications really. When 3G is out, GPRS takes over.

  Hannah369 18:32 04 Aug 2006

well... i had a look at the BT card, and i THINK that must be what he meant, i thought stupidly that it meant you could connect anywhere, but only in the hotspots, i see! i guess you could buy these cards here, then use them in aus? hmmm... not sure! thanks for the replies anyhow! Helped!!! xxx

  ade.h 18:37 04 Aug 2006

Well, there's wifi and 3G/GPRS.

Wifi needs hotspots (locations in which a publicly available network is present).

3G/GPRS just needs a mobile phone network and even Oz has those!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?