Wireless camera connected to laptop

snufflimited 22:55 13 Oct 2008

Hello need some advice I recently brought a wireless car reversing camera and LCD screen system from ebay I plug the screen into cigarette port and I have had the camera mounted on the back of the van by the number plate also its wired up to my reverse light it all works in practice when I put it in reverse and also had a switch put in the back of the van so it runs off my second battery and I can use it as a security camera when im staying in the back. The problem is the LCD screen is crap quality which im gutted about.

My question is can I some how use the camera with my laptop as I think its just the LCD screen that poor?

I have put a link to the item on ebay but also listed its features that was on ebay incase the link doesn’t work !

any help would be great thanks

jay

click here

Specifications

Camera Paramet

* Power Supply: DC12V
* Power Consumption: 100mA
* Transmission Frequency: 2.4GHz
* Horizontal Definition: 320 TV Lines
* Angle of View: 150o Wide-Angle Lens

Monitor/Receiver Parameter:

Power Supply: DC12V
Power Consumption: 40mA
Transmission Frequency: 2.4GHz
Validity Pixel: 960 x 240
Monitor Size: 2.5 inch

boot-it-out 12:38 14 Oct 2008

Hi,
What you are trying to achieve IS possible, but you will have to buy some extra equipment:

You will need a wireless receiver to receive the video signal transmitted from the existing wireless camera.

The monitor that came with the camera probably has the receiver built in.
If it has a connection for an external monitor then that is the easiest way to go, but I suspect it hasn't, so you will need a different receiver to feed the video signal to your laptop.

There are plenty of these on E-Bay at around £20 - £25 - search for "Wireless CCTV" - they are adjustable within the 2.4GHz frequency band so should work with the exisitng wireless camera, and can be powered by a 12 volt external supply.

You then need to get the video into your laptop, and it is unlikely you will have a built in video capture card, so you will also need to purchase another device - search E-Bay / Google etc. for USB Video Capture.

You should then be able to capture the video from the new receiver directly into your laptop.

HOWEVER - If you're going to use yur laptop why not just call it quits with your existing kit ( maybe re-sell it on E-Bay ) and just get a USB web cam ? - Plenty of choice, plenty of different features available, and will probably cost a lot less :-)

woodchip 12:50 14 Oct 2008

More oft than not its cheap bad cameras

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone