Wireless Cable connection

Rossco900 01:13 02 Nov 2007

Hi, very new to wireless networking / connection.
For internet at the moment, what I use is virgin (ex-telewest) cable modem Motorola surfboard on my desktop pc.
Basically i want to get rid of my desktop pc and just get a laptop and have a wireless connection, hide away the modem/router, happy days.
From what (little) I understand, i would need to have a wireless cable/DSL router so here are the questions...
1. If i get a wireless router then do i still need to retain my motorola modem? i think yes.
2. does anyone make a combined modem/router in one? seems a pointless space-saving exercise if I need the two boxes and associated cabling...
Cheers.
Ross.

ambra4 01:46 02 Nov 2007

1. Yes you cannot remove the cable modem

2. Cable modem are supplied by the cable company and all use a difference type of modem

Have not seen any combine cable modem/router sold

3. You will have to use the cable modem with a DSL/wireless router, which will connect to the modem via the Ethernet WAN port all you, would be adding is the router and a short Ethernet cable

At the moment only the ASDL service via the phone line can you buy a combine modem/wireless router and only in Europe?

In other part of the world you will have to use an ASDL modem plus a wireless router, which I previous used, before I bought a 240 volts 3com ASDL combine unit in the UK installed via a 110-240 volts transformer and still working perfect

johnstokie 13:51 02 Nov 2007

Yes, you connect your router through the cable modem, as far as I am aware there isn't an all in one modem/router. I connected a netgear router via the modem last weekend and the wirless works just fine the only issue is I am running out of sockets:)

ozy400 17:21 23 Jan 2008

hi all,

help i have a asdl wifi router (netgear the one sky do) i have re firmwared it back to netgear vr2 uk i can get out on the net via rj45 my tab pc can pick up the wifi but it wont go out on net will see my pc and visa virsa help any ideas more than welcome even if its put it back in the box cus am stupid.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?