wireless button...can't it just connect automatic

lonemascot 17:19 31 Dec 2007

This is going to sound like i'm really lazy. when i switch the laptop on i have to press the wireless button to activate the WLAN device. I didn't always have to do this.

Is there somewhere in settings that i can set the laptop to come on and switch the wireless on automatically?

i went to control panel, administrator tools, services and checked all the services that had to be manually started. i found something called 'remote access connection manager'. If i set that to automatic will that solve my problem or am i barking up the wrong tree?

rawprawn 17:29 31 Dec 2007

No, Remote Access connection is to allow someone to gain access to your computer (usually to help)
I would try re registering your settings.

woodchip 17:40 31 Dec 2007

All mine connect automatic. I never new that there was another way

woodchip 17:42 31 Dec 2007

May be if you posted more Info like is it a Desktop or Laptop, and what Operating System XP or Vista etc?

woodchip 17:43 31 Dec 2007

PS just on the off chance, If you are using a Router is it set to Always on? Or connect when needed

lonemascot 17:46 31 Dec 2007

its a laptop my desktop is automatic. XP ops sys. i think it may have something to do with the launch button driver i downloaded for the lappy. there are 5 buttons near the screen above the keyboard that are used for internet, email shortcuts etc. the one on the end is the wireless button. this needs to be switched to allow the wireless device to work.

woodchip 17:48 31 Dec 2007

Is this a Medion by any chance?

lonemascot 17:50 31 Dec 2007

yer its a medion. are they usually a pain in the bum?

woodchip 17:58 31 Dec 2007

No I have one but it is not Wireless. It as Power saver button plus four more at the top right. once it's pressed on it should keep the setting. Why not look in the drivers folder on other Partition and reload the old driver for the buttons

woodchip 18:02 31 Dec 2007

PS I must admit. I do not load new drivers, Recommended or not, unless I am having problems with the old ones

lonemascot 18:09 31 Dec 2007

yes i agree. I only loaded it because i had reformatted the HD and because i didn't have a driver cd, had to use Medion's website. I only downloaded the drivers that I had hardware for. it works lovely, its just pants.

before i loaded the driver for it those buttons had no function but the laptop still managed to connect to my router!

I can't even find what the launch buttons are called in system device manager to uninstall the driver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?