Wireless Bumps

acsmanhtml12 15:21 06 Aug 2006

My wireless is down. I can't connect to the router and it dosen't configure to give me an IP address. The furthest I got is being able to send a file to the other Pc on my Network wirelessly and it is not picking up the ADSL signal. Dose that mean that my laptop always has to be wired because it has the ISP on it. I have tried both Belkins own Card (the make of my router) and my built in one.

mgmcc 16:08 06 Aug 2006

<<< I can't connect to the router and it doesn't configure to give me an IP address. >>>

Try deleting the existing 'profile' in your wireless settings and then "Connect" again - in other words, run the wireless adapter's software, scan for "Available Wireless Networks", find and highlight the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and select the option to "Connect" to it. Once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

<<< and it is not picking up the ADSL signal. >>>

I assume you are aware that it is the *ROUTER* that connects to the ISP via the ADSL service and not one of the computers networked with it?

<<< Does that mean that my laptop always has to be wired because it has the ISP on it. >>>

The laptop shouldn't have ISP software installed in it because, as above, the PC doesn't establish the connection to the internet - that's the *Router's* function. There should be no need for any particular computer to have a "wired" connection to the router. Once configured, all computers in the network should be able to connect wirelessly if that's the method you want to use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?