Wireless Broadband sharing

notuagain28 17:31 01 Dec 2005

I have recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop which is wireless enabled and would like to share my current home broadband connection with it.

My desktop runs windows XP and i currently am using a USB DSL modem with Tiscali.

I realise i will need to buy a adsl modem/wireless router but i am confused as to whether the new adsl modem/router will plug staright into my desktop allwoing the laptop to be wireless or whether i will need a network card for the laptop in order to connect it to the router.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Forum Editor 18:31 01 Dec 2005

a wireless network adapter if your Dell laptop is "wireless enabled". Usually there's a small switch somewhere on the laptop which turns on the built-in wireless adapter.

That done, your laptop will detect the wireless signal from your new router.

notuagain28 18:37 01 Dec 2005

Sorry what i meant was whether my desktop would need a network card. I want to use wires to connect the desktop but will an ethernet wire plug into the pc without a network card?

mgmcc 19:16 01 Dec 2005

For a "wired" connection between the Desktop PC and the Router, it *must* have a network card installed. If the PC is not very old, it would be unusual for it not to have a network adapter. If you open the Network Connections folder is there an entry for a "Local Area Connection"? That is the network adapter.

keewaa 20:21 01 Dec 2005

The PC might have an onboard ethernet port which will not be where the PCI slots are but above, usually beside the sound connectors.

Network cards are only £10

notuagain28 09:42 02 Dec 2005

Thanks a lot that has helpoed a lot. Looks like i will need a network card installing (my pc is about 5 years old).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?