Wireless Broadband / Routers totally confused?

MaggieP 11:01 17 Nov 2008

I currently have a desktop and Orange Broadband but am thinking of going wireless so that I can use a laptop / notebook in other parts of the house.

Am considering buying an Acer notebook and had almost decided to switch to BT wireless but not sure whether this would be compatible with the Acer OS?

Have been browsing this site for advice and came across threads about wireless routers e.g. Netgear. Can't understand the point of paying more for wireless broadband if I can just buy a router which will do the same job so am I missing something?

Appreciate any help and advice on which I should go for.

Clapton is God 12:04 17 Nov 2008

"Can't understand the point of paying more for wireless broadband if I can just buy a router which will do the same job so am I missing something?"

Yes, I think you are missing something.

Broadband is broadband is broadband to the point where it enters your house.

It only becomes 'wireless', if that's what you choose to do, within your house.

As you say, you can use a router to wirelessly connect laptops/PCs in a number of rooms throughout the house rather than running wires all over the place.

"not sure whether this would be compatible with the Acer OS?"

The OS is irrelevant. As long as your new laptop is wi-fi enabled (and most laptops are nowadays), that's all you need.

MaggieP 12:17 17 Nov 2008

Thanks for your reply, on the BT FAQs it gives a list of Operating systems which are supported by the BT router but this doesn't include Linux? Sounds as if I might as well stick with Orange and buy a router!

mgmcc 16:31 17 Nov 2008

>>> Sounds as if I might as well stick with Orange and buy a router!

Quite correct and I'd suggest you get a router yourself rather than get the Orange Livebox which, by all accounts, isn't particularly good as routers go. You won't go far wrong with a model from the Netgear DG834 range.

MaggieP 16:45 17 Nov 2008

Ok thanks for that. Still don't really understand how it all works, keep seeing mention of adapters and cards as well so would I need these? If I just had the router would both desktop and laptop be wireless or would I have to connect the router to the desktop and just use the laptop as wireless?!

DippyGirl 17:15 17 Nov 2008

You can mix and match them how you like. Alot will depend on where you site your router.
Router will be connected to your telephone master socket (or extension - though this can sometimes be a problem) using a micro-filter in the same way as your ADSL modem does now.
Each PC that wants to connect wirelessly will need a wireless network adapter - this can be an internal card or a usb device. (Most laptops these days are shipped with an adapter)
Or you can connect the PC/laptop to the router using an ethernet cable. Most Routers have 4 ethernet ports

peter99co 17:36 17 Nov 2008

Do seriously make sure you set up the security on the router when you install it. WEP or WPA

This will prevent others from using your wireless connection.

Ask for info on how to do this when you make your purchase.

MaggieP 17:37 17 Nov 2008

Ok, to recap situation is this - I live in a bungalow and the telephone socket is in the hall. Currently the desktop is connected just a few feet away but I would like to move this to another room at the end of the hall. I would want to use the laptop of an evening in the lounge, again just a few feet away from the main socket. It is unlikely that I would want to use both computers at the same time. Would I therefore need to buy a router and an adapter or card which I could swap between computers? Looking on Amazon this would probably cost about 60 quid so may be cheaper to get a freebie from BT? Thanks for your help

oldbeefer2 17:56 17 Nov 2008

As mentioned, the new laptop will almsot certainly contain a WiFi card. You will need something for the PC - either a card or a USB adaptor (examples click here)

oldbeefer2 17:58 17 Nov 2008

ps good router for 30quid click here.

MaggieP 18:20 17 Nov 2008

Will definitely be back for security advice!
Thanks everyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie