Wireless Broadband HELP Needed Please

Comical Ali 22:18 12 Jan 2006

I wanted to send my broad band connection to my computer without the need for an extension line.

Have bought Belkin F5D7633-4A and the USB adapter
Modem/Router has been configured and ISP details entered.

The problem is that when I try to access the internet I can't.

However earlier today it did work properly ie adapter connecting to modem/router and getting internet access, but I shut down computer and now I can't remember how I did it!!!

I think I did it with the windows Wizard, but have retried countless combinations and nothing works.

OS XP Professional

ISP BT broadband

Any help would be most gratefully appreciated

Biotech 22:36 12 Jan 2006

was there any software with the USB adapter?

Comical Ali 22:39 12 Jan 2006

Yes and is installed

Biotech 22:42 12 Jan 2006

You could try going in through the dial up settings, click connections\add\ then follow the boxes and click as appropriate.

Comical Ali 22:46 12 Jan 2006

Have already tried this my friend

Biotech 22:47 12 Jan 2006

Then you can sort out any proxy settings that may need to be configured. These will be in your notes.

Biotech 22:52 12 Jan 2006

I suppose you are getting a reasonable signal to your adapter, surprising how little signal there can be at certain points - usually where your computer is I have found the hard way.

Comical Ali 22:54 12 Jan 2006

It does fluctuate, but generally about 55%

Biotech 23:02 12 Jan 2006

Well you got me pulling my hair out now and it isn't my computer.
Usually pretty straightforward making a connection. I hope somebody smarter can come up with a solution, only thing I can suggest is uninstall everything at computer end and redo it.

mgmcc 23:04 12 Jan 2006

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "connected", the little icon will get its "halo" to indicate it is connected to that network and it should then get its correct IP address by DHCP from the router. You should then have internet access.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017