Wireless Broadband Help

astra46 19:11 07 Feb 2011

Ive changed my ISP and am having a Wireless Router for the first time.

My pc is ancient tho, Mesh 2400xp from 2001, what Wireless USB Adapter would be suitable?

Think i may look at buying a new pc tho...

GaT7 19:28 07 Feb 2011

Most (if not all wireless routers) will have a direct connector as well. How far is the router going to be from your PC? If not very far, then you can plug in your ethernet cable directly into the router (just like you did your previous one?).

Assuming your PC has XP installed, pretty much any wireless USB adapter that runs on XP will do - that's probably 99% of what's available to buy these days. G

Muergo 20:31 07 Feb 2011

I run my PC from the back socket on my Huawei wireless router, free from TalkTalk, and it's about 3 metres long, but my friend in Cornwall runs a forty (40)metre ethernet cable to his as the wireless won't work through the 2ft thick block walls of his converted barn.

Sounds incredible but he says he gets a perfect signal.

astra46 21:38 07 Feb 2011

Think ill try a Wireless Adapter as ive too much wires as it is, and the pc is some way from the phone socket.

robin_x 22:12 07 Feb 2011

Age of PC should not matter, I have a Belkin dongle on a 12 yr old laptop.

click here

Now running XP, from upstairs bedroom to b/g router in living room then b/g/n modern laptop.

I get more range than I expected (brick wall 1930s semi-detached house). Laptop works in every room and the conservatory.
I suspect because the dongle is large. ie better antenna.
Speed can drop to 27Mbps though, probably because of weaker signal.

So surfing is OK. Transferring files is not.
I have an ethernet cable from upstairs to downstairs for that.

Note: I am not advocating Belkin. Connection software is buggy on mine. Auto connect doesn't and it loses my security settings.
So I have to select WPA2 and password 50% of the time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?