wireless broadband HELP!!!!!

builder2469 22:18 01 May 2005

Hi new to this lark. Just upgrade to broadband, as we just moved house. Only problem is the PC is in one room and telephone socket in another, so we have to run an extension cable. But the kids keep tripping over it (me to sometimes!). Heard about a wireless connection but don't know what i'm supposed to be looking for. We only have the one pc, no laptop but we do have an xbox. Really could do with some pointing in the right direction. Recomendations, prices, where i can find them etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

woodchip 22:24 01 May 2005

I have just gone BB, BT/NTLFreedom. Got free USB modem but it meant keep switching the modem between three comps including a Laptop. so I got a 3Com ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall Router modem Model 3CRWDR100A-72 with a free Laptop card. cost about £70 but can now use all tree or just any one and also go out in garden with Laptop to use.

woodchip 22:25 01 May 2005

That should be three not tree

Miss Happy 23:19 19 Jun 2006

I've just gone BB, BT/NTLFreedom + USB speedtouch 330 modem (ok, a year after you did!), you have just answered my question aswell, I also have laptop but just one desktop and want wireless. Laptop is IEEE 802.11b/g but PC only has internal dial-up modem I think.

How's your 3com doing a year later, has it been behaving itself? Thanks

I bought an ASUS WL-500g wireless router only to find tho' it said 'USB' printer support on the box, inside it said the 500g can only be used with a parallel printer, the deluxe model is for USB! Not only that, there was no usb connection for speedtouch modem or anyother way of connecting it, the ASUS WL-500g does not have an internal modem.I have an ASUS laptop so thought they would not conflict!

I not bothering with the printer networking now, but still want to use my laptop around the house and garden.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?