Wireless broadband with DSL router

Laurel500 21:30 16 Nov 2005

We have NTL broadband and were told we needed a DSL router to get wireless braodband. Bought the Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless Router, connected this to our NTL set top box (downstairs) and ran the disc on our computer.

It doesn't work but we don't know if we've bought the right thing. We don't need wireless internet to any other machine, just to our one PC.

Also do we need some sort of adapter in the PC to send a signal to the modem (which I presume is in the set box, right?). Otherwise where does the signal come from?

Currently we are still accessing it using a cable. Any help appreciated as we are both quite limited in our IT skills. Thanks.

roy 23:50 16 Nov 2005

I don't have cable broadband so I do not know whether your purchase is the right one but as you seem to have connected it to your modem it sounds ok. Next, yes, you do need a wireless adapter in your pc to receive the signal which is transmitted by your router. You can either buy an adapter card to go into a PCI slot in your pc or you could use a USB 'dongle' which just plugs into a usb port. If you are only using it for broadband I would think the dongle would be ok.
Roy
PS it is usually thought best to keep to one manufacturer for wireless so probably best to keep to Netgear.

Tim1964 00:06 17 Nov 2005

As your BB is via the set top box it is CABLE BB and not ADSL BB. The modem, as you rightly said is in the STB. If you want to connect wirelessly to the PC you need a Cable/Dsl router and not a Dsl router (if you get what I mean), such as this one

click here

It's a subtle difference but as you've discovered it is important.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?