Wireless broadband connection.

rappers 12:56 30 Apr 2006

I have adsl broadband available to the house, but connecting the phone line to my PC requires a 40ft telephone extension lead. This causes a subsequent loss of speed & quality to my dynamode usb modem. I understand I could connect wirelessly, but what equipment do I require. I am a beginner but an avid surfer. Please help.

Stuartli 13:30 30 Apr 2006

Have you tried an ADSL data lead rather than a telephone extension?

I use a 10m ADSL lead direct from the master socket to my modem and get full speed.

Stuartli 13:31 30 Apr 2006

Cost of the lead was only £7.59.

961 13:35 30 Apr 2006

Wireless introduces a whole new set of problems particularly if you live in a house with solid as opposed to partition walls

Try connecting to the master socket of your phone and see what speed you get. If there is a big difference in what you get after the 40ft connection, consider upgrading the cable/connection or, indeed, the router

I don't think wireless will ever give you a faster speed than wired

rappers 13:55 30 Apr 2006

Thanks for response, however the idea was not to have a 40ft lead trailing round the house

rappers 13:55 30 Apr 2006

Thanks for response, however the idea was not to have a 40ft lead trailing round the house

mgmcc 14:20 30 Apr 2006

If you do want to pursue the wireless option, the hardware required is a combined "Wireless Router & ADSL Modem" which connects directly to your phone line in place of the USB modem. The PC itself, needs to have a Wireless Network Adapter installed - PCI or USB.

rappers 00:05 01 May 2006

Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?