Is wireless broadband bad for your health ?

CodeMeister 22:06 01 Mar 2006

Hi

I just read about a pioneering elementary school district outside Chicago has been sued for installing a wireless computer network by parents worried that exposure to the network's radio waves could harm their children.

The article may be read at the following link :-

click here

It's not something that gets discussed very often

hzhzhz 22:51 01 Mar 2006
  ade.h 23:37 01 Mar 2006

If 2.4ghz radio waves caused health problems, cordless home phones would inevitably have generated tabloid paranoia at some point, just mobile phones have done.

Radio waves are perfectly harmless.

ade.h 23:38 01 Mar 2006

Hit the post button prematurely; was going to add

...at the levels involved.

Belatucadrus 13:38 02 Mar 2006

Considering that the network been in place since 1995 and the extreme nature of the litigation for compensation culture in the US. I am somewhat suspicious of the motivation of the parents. As the "plaintiffs are all minor children" presumably the network was in situ before they were enrolled by their parents ?
I'd love to be wrong, but Section C of the "Prayer for relief" just brings out the cynic in me:-

"Order such other and further relief as this Court may deem fit to grant in fashioning a remedy for the named Plaintiffs and the Class they represent."

i.e. money.

CodeMeister 21:10 10 Apr 2006

Hi hzhzhz, ade.h and Belatucadrus

Thanks for all of your replies.

I've just been reading the following page suggests that radiation from WIFI probably is injurious to our health but it's only one of many devices presenting similar risks which is not exactly reassuring.

click here

Regards
David

Aargh 11:28 11 Apr 2006

WIFI is very dangerous - as a consequence of any new technology, new users are prone to spending too long sat at their computers, thus becoming unhealthy and less able to interact on a social level. The effects on both health and relationships are well documented.

Symptoms can be eased by drinking red wine and smoking good cigars.

Try crossing the road - thats really dangerous.

CodeMeister 19:10 11 Apr 2006

Hi Aargh

Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't thought of those additional problems. ;-)

Regards
David

Hertz Van Rentyl 21:25 11 Apr 2006

I think that at the power levels in your router the output is very low and almost non existent when there is no demand on the router, we are not talking military RADAR here where you are likely to fry if you get near it. I would be surprised if the minimum safe distance from your antenna was more than a couple of centimeters.

Hertz Van Rentyl 21:34 11 Apr 2006

If anyone is really worried they should wear a copper mesh catsuit (suits you sir) with a pyramid shaped helmet, the apex should have an angular aspect of 52.25 degrees and be constructed of "shiny stuff"

Forum Editor 23:30 11 Apr 2006

that living in the 21st century might be injurious to health. There's a serious danger of becoming a lawyer, or marrying one, or having one as a friend, or as a colleague, or even of living next door to one. I'm thinking of suing my wife for operating the microwave oven whilst I was in the house.

Incidentally, that pyramid-shaped helmet.........I think you'll find it should be constructed from "very shiny stuff".

A small point, but an important one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?