Wireless Broadband

laurie53 09:51 24 Jul 2009

My ISP has just increased charges, so it's time to seek a MAC.

I am looking at three options as a replacement as I am an existing customer of each so get a good offer.

They are BT, O2 and Sky.

Any opinions?

I am inclining towards O2 at the moment.

chub_tor 10:01 24 Jul 2009

If you haven't already done so go to this comparison site click here and compare the ISP's you are thinking of using.

rawprawn 10:18 24 Jul 2009

I am using BT and I can't fault them. I pay for 8MB Max and get around 6.5/7MB average.
I have had occasion to ring their helpline twice, and they have solved the problem quickly.
I have only ever used Tiscali before (disaster) so I can't compare BT with any others.

rawprawn 10:22 24 Jul 2009

I have just used the link provided by chub_tor
to compare BT, AOL, O2,Orange, Sky, and 3. BT came out streets ahead in all cases.

rawprawn 10:22 24 Jul 2009

I have just used the link provided by chub_tor
to compare BT, AOL, O2,Orange, Sky, and 3. BT came out streets ahead in all cases.

birdface 10:53 24 Jul 2009

Namesco comes out top on the ones that i tried.

click here

2neat 12:04 24 Jul 2009

I have been with Sky BB for over two years with no probs. I have never needed to contact them. My phone service is still with BT!
It used to cost me £5pp which was excellent value.
It now costs £10pp which is still good value.

Cheers

exdragon 13:28 24 Jul 2009

I've been with o2 for a year (moved from BT) and as I had an o2 mobile for years, they gave me the first year free. It's now increased to a massive £5!

Customer service is free, excellent and always available. The people have knowledge of the product and don't merely read from scripts which quite often have no relevance to the questions you're asking.

I can't fault them at all.

exdragon 13:28 24 Jul 2009

Oh - and apart from a couple of short outages due to maintenance, it's been perfect

laurie53 18:10 24 Jul 2009

Thanks for the responses.

My exchange is not yet unbundled so for performance BT comes out best.

However, BT costs £24+ as opposed to O2's £17 (Sky's only available package also costs £17, plus £30 connection fee and a monthly download limit), so do I want to pay an extra £7 pm, £84 pa, for a promise of better performance which may or may not materialise?

I think, on balance, perhaps not.

I'll leave the thread open for a bit longer.

birdface 13:12 26 Jul 2009

Not what you are looking for but worth a look.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone