Wireless Broadband

  Edward-207256 19:27 29 Dec 2006

I have had a broadband connection on my computer, but i now don't have it. I now want to join a wireless network, what equipment would i need?

I presume i have already got an ethernet card in my computer, since i have been on broadband before. Do i need a wireless pci card or a network adaptor? Or are they both the same thing?

Which is best and what sort of costs does each incur?



  postie24 19:47 29 Dec 2006

Eddytheeagle, try posting this in networking,you may get more assistance


  The Kestrel 19:49 29 Dec 2006

A PCI card has to be fitted inside the base unit in a PCI slot. A USB adapter simply plugs into a USB port at the front or back of your base unit. They both work as well as one another. It is simply a choice of how you wish to connect to the wire less network.

  Technotiger 20:02 29 Dec 2006

Hi, yes, you might have an ethernet card in your pc, but also you might not - an ethernet card is not normally needed to go on the internet unless you want to run a network.

What you need is a adsl modem/router, a pci ethernet card in your pc, and a network adapter card or similar in your laptop - or if networking another pc, a pci adapter in the other pc.

  Edward-207256 20:20 29 Dec 2006

Thank you very much for your help guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?