wireless broadband

  pprbh 20:28 03 Jun 2006

I have a desktop pc with broadband through a router which a wireless enabled laptop can receive from anywhere in the house.

What would i need to receive broadband on another desktop which i already have in the next room?


  ade.h 21:30 03 Jun 2006

One of three things, which I will list in order of likely reliability!

A long Ethernet cable and a hole in the wall.

A PCI wireless adapter - anywhere from £15 to £50 (a £15-20 Linksys or Belkin is a more than adequate choice.

Or a USB adapter. If really want one of these, don't install the software for it.

  dms05 07:08 04 Jun 2006

Agree totally with ade.h - if you do go the USB route you will need to install the USB WiFi Stick drivers but don't use the WiFi Utility that will be on the same CD. XP has its own WiFi control software and you will find everything runs more reliably if you use that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017