Wireless Broadband

chriscross72 09:34 18 Mar 2006

A friend of mine wants to be able to use the internet wirelessly with his laptop at home.
We are somewhat in the dark about how to do this.
Am I correct in thinking that if he uses his aol broadband silver connection and plugs a wireless router into the broadband modem this will transmit the internet connection to his wi-fi enabled Acer laptop.(windows xp home)
Would this be correct or am I missing something ?
If so could we be pointed in the direction of a site that explains how to enable him to receive the internet on his laptop without wires trailing everywhere.
Thank you : ))

johnnyrocker 09:47 18 Mar 2006
  Pineman100 12:11 18 Mar 2006

If your friend has a free modem supplied by his ISP it may not work with a router. Many of these free modems are very basic, and cannot operate without their driver software in the computer.
Much better to buy a wireless router that has a broadband modem built in - it doesn't cost much more than an ordinary router.

ade.h 15:37 18 Mar 2006

Unlike cable customers, ADSL users do not have the benefit of keeping their existing modem and using a router. They must use a modem/router.

There are just one or two exceptions to this, from the Linksys range, that are designed to work with other than a cable modem, but they have limitations in terms of real-world compatability with many ADSL modems and are more difficult to set up.

click here

Clawador 16:29 18 Mar 2006

My advice if he only has one or two 'puters in
the house is to stick with old fashioned wired
routers unless he's not worried about the
price.

The modem, the router,the network cards.. then
having to hire some guy to come set it for you
'cos it just doesn't work right.

The manufacturers and retailers are pushing wireless
like crazy 'cos they can make a lot more money out
of it from those extra bits and pieces you have
to buy.

woodchip 16:36 18 Mar 2006

Yes he needs what you said and if is Laptop is not WiFi then he needs ether a Wireless USB addapter or a PCMCIA WiFi card

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?