wireless booster

gav223 05:45 03 Nov 2008

Hi, can someone please give me some advice on a good wireless booster. I have a mac desktop a mac laptop and a couple of friends that stay with me have microsoft laptops.
If it is possible I would prefer one that is compatible with both OS. However if performance is limited by choosing a dual booster then I would just like one for the mac. I don't think i'm having problems because of the distance, it's more to do with thick walls in between the pc and the modem.
Many thanks.

Technotiger 09:09 03 Nov 2008

Maybe Homeplug would fill your needs ... click here

gav223 09:47 03 Nov 2008

Thanks technotiger for the reply. I have only had a quick look through at the product and i'm assuming that once you have a plug connected to the main modem you can connect additional plugs into whatever rooms you want, am I correct in thinking this.
Also do you know if this works on all brands of modems and how many additional plugs can be connected.
Thanks.

Technotiger 10:12 03 Nov 2008

On all brands as far as I can tell, as regards additional plugs, read the very last sentence on the link.

click here

Technotiger 10:13 03 Nov 2008

PS - If you Google - Homeplug Networks, you will see others.

ambra4 10:27 03 Nov 2008

If you want to stay with wireless you can also extend the wireless range via the house electrical system

Netgear Wall-Plugged Wireless Range Extender Kit

click here

Technotiger 10:50 03 Nov 2008

Hi, just as in my first link above :-))

gav223 11:38 03 Nov 2008

Hi guy's.
After looking at the product in question I think i'm right in saying that either an ethernet lead or power lead has to be connected at all times. I was looking for something that was completely wireless, so if I was sitting somewhere away from a socket I could use the laptop without any wires connected.
If what I have just said is incorrect can you please tell me.
I have also just been looking through google and have come across a site called afterthemac.com.
Can you please tell me if this is a wireless booster or just a product to use on computers that don't have wireless capabilities.

Technotiger 15:05 03 Nov 2008

I have not used these myself, but from what I can see, ambra4's link does what you want - the main Extender Plug wired to Router, then other plug(s) in different rooms/locations each creating a local wireless wifi point. At least, that is how I read it.

ambra4 15:11 03 Nov 2008

Technotiger

That is correct you just move the wireless plug to the room that required wireless access

Technotiger 15:18 03 Nov 2008

ambra4

Yes, and one could have extra plugs in other locations, to save unplugging and moving just the one. So several computers could operate, as on a wireless network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone