Wireless BB drops conection when left for a while

columboid 14:25 17 Jul 2006

Hi!
Just wondering if anyone can help.
I am trying to help some one who has the following problem.
They have a wireless connection. They can connect to the web fine when first switched on, but, if they go away and leave their PC for a while (a few hours),then come back and try to access the web - they cannot.

Just wondering on the off chance if anyone is aware of any settings anyware that auto shutdown wireless links?? or dsiconnect the web or somethinng

Any help much appreciated
ta
C

nob14 14:34 17 Jul 2006

How do they get connected after its closed? Does it only effect IE or all the attempts to connect?

columboid 14:53 17 Jul 2006

Thanks for your reply.
They have to re-boot to reconnect.
I haven't seen there set up yet but I suspect its all connections that are affected as they are also complaining about not being able to send mail.
ta
C

nob14 15:11 17 Jul 2006

have they got hibernation enabled? If so turn it off, also how do they connect? is it USB if so check in device manager that windows cant turn it off in power saving.

columboid 15:14 17 Jul 2006

much appreciated nob14
I'lll check them two when i get there and let you know
Thanks
C

Bailey08787 17:48 17 Jul 2006

my ISP used to disconnect my BB if it detected that I had been idle for x amount of time. I had to reset the router every time to get connected again.

I think it was to discourage people from leaving their pc on all day/night to download files.

May be worthing checking this out

columboid 09:10 18 Jul 2006

Good point.
I'll check that out as well.
Thanks Both

columboid 11:31 19 Jul 2006

Went and looked at the PC...
I went into:
Network Connections -> LAN -> Properties -> Configure (network card) -> Power Management and unticked 'Allow computer to turn off to save power'
&
Control Panel -> Power Options -> hibernation and unticked 'enable hibernation'.

I'll let you know if it worked...
thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017