Wireless Advice

  RussG 22:09 09 Oct 2007

Just after some advice please. I have a wired network
which is fed from a Belkin router (I am on Telewest/Virgin Broadband).

I would like to use my laptop round the house wireless so I guess I need a transmitter to plug into a port on my router and a receiver to plug into my laptop. Can anyone offer some advice of some good kit at a reasonable price. Had a look online but I am a bit confused, too much choice !

  woodchip 22:25 09 Oct 2007

You need a Wireless Router or Modem\Router to do what you want. Plus if your Laptop is Not Wireless you will need a Wireless USB Dongle

  RussG 18:07 10 Oct 2007

Thanks for the reply.
I thought I would be able to plug something into my existing router, I really want to retain my wired network. Do the wireless routers have the option for wired connections?

  Fingees 18:46 10 Oct 2007

If you use a Belkin wireless router/modem in place of your present wired router and modem.

They usually have inputs for up to for wired inputs. this will enable you to use both wired and wirelass connections.

  sidecar sid 19:08 10 Oct 2007

As you are using cable broadband you need a
Cable/DSL router to use in place of your existing router.Most if not all of which have a four port
switch for wired connection built in.
Hve a browse and read some revews here.
click here

  RussG 19:32 10 Oct 2007

Great thanks everybody.

  RussG 19:44 10 Oct 2007

Found what I was after, look here;

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?