Wireless ADSL network and WEP

sharkfin 16:21 02 Dec 2005

hello, sorry about the multiple threads over the last few days but i got another one for yah.

I've set up and wireless network with my Desktop ond new laptop which is working fine now after a day of problems.

and i just have a few questions regarding the security aspect of the setup.

Its a Netgear 802.11g modem router BTW.

By just just accessing interent through this modem router, does it act like a firewall automatically? I cant seem to find any options about firewalls in the menus. Can I safely disable Xp's firewall then?

In the WEP configuration section, I specified a word and the router automatically provided 4 WEP keys. My laptop and desktop are both using key 1 so i'm just wondering what the other 3 keys are for? i tried using the other keys but the computers simply wouldnt connect to the network.

Chegs ®™ 16:57 02 Dec 2005

Erm,I haven't got a Netgear 802.11g router,but both my routers(Actiontec/Sweex)have their firewalls enabled by default.I haven't a clue where in the Sweex to go to alter the firewall settings(I borrowed it and the lad who brought it over has lost the CD/Instruction booklet)but the Actiontec has a setting cfg section in the webpage setup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?