Wireless access point in shed

Sheddad 09:01 30 Jul 2010

I have a shed in my garden that my boys use as a playroom. When I built it I ran a long Ethernet cable to it from our o2 wireless box ii in the house. This let their old computer access the Internet. That pc has now gone. Can I buy a device that will connect to that Ethernet cable and allow Internet access wirelessly for a laptop and their games console? I'm a bit of a technophobe really so something that just plugs in and works would be great without me having to go through complicated settings.

onthelimit 11:38 30 Jul 2010

You need a wireless access point - an example click here, but you could pick one up more cheaply from ebay, I guess.

Sheddad 12:57 30 Jul 2010

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. Do you know if access points like the one you posted as an example, work just by plugging them in? I read something about having to configure things and changing SSID and gateways and all sorts. I don't even know what they are so I don't want to be fiddling about. Many thanks again.

onthelimit 14:44 30 Jul 2010

I've never had to set one up, but typical comments from buyers of the one I linked to are 'Excellent - take it out of the box, plug it in and start using it', so I assume it's fairly straightforward. I suggest you wait to see if anyone who's installed one (or similar) have any comments about that.

mgmcc 20:30 31 Jul 2010

A "wireless" router incorporates a Wireless Access Point so you will configure a stand-alone Wireless Access Point in the same way as you configure the wireless settings in a router.

In other words, you set the Channel to use, the SSID (network name) and the encryption (WEP/WPA/WPA2).

Stand-alone Wireless Access Points tend to be expensive and it can be less costly to install a "Cable/DSL" router and run that as a Sub-Router from the one which connects to the internet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?