Wireless access point?

Why wont it work 11:47 27 May 2008

Can I plug a wireless access point into my existing wireless router (whilst maintaining the wireless function of the router)? We often have up to 15 computers connected wirelessly and it goes very slowly/ the router disconnects frequently when so many people connected. I therefore hope that I could 'share' the load between two wireless points. (I tried upgrading the router to a shiny new Netgear N but that made little difference, just slightly reduced the number of disconnects.) Thanks for your help!

daxian 12:45 27 May 2008

hi ....
it will depend on whether you wish all the pc's to access the net at the same time ..which will depend on your bandwidth i.e. 15 pcs on a 1 meg connection
is gonna be slow ...
if its just for networking then it might improve things, as long as all are using the same speed networking ....i.e. all "n" capable network cards.
routers can send the data at high speed but if the cards can only accept data at 54 = bottlekneck.
Dave.

Why wont it work 13:01 27 May 2008

I think it's network which is playing up. We have 20mb broadband (which runs at 18mb most of the time, so I don't think that's a problem). Everything is running at wireless G, got the N router to increase the range and signal strength in a vain attempt to improve things.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?