Wireless Access 1 PC

recap 21:06 07 Aug 2007

A friend is attempting to set up her PC to be wireless from a Belikin G Router, with VirginMedia as the ISP. The Cable connection from VirginMedia is downstairs and her computer is upstairs.

VirginMedia say they cannot put the cable in her bedroom as this would mean putting the cable over the roof which they cannot do.

How can she set this up?

Strawballs 22:19 07 Aug 2007

She will need to plug the PC into the router by wire just to setup the wireless when done it can be removed and used wirelessly. Is it cable or the old Virgin.net ADSL? Also what is the Model of the router?

Strawballs 22:20 07 Aug 2007
  recap 00:12 08 Aug 2007

Thanks for that Strawballs. She has a Belkin G Router with a Virgin Cable Modem.

Strawballs 00:46 08 Aug 2007

In that case it is quite straight forward connect by wire to router and router to modem then run the setup CD that came with the router and follow instructions once setup remove wire and use wirelessly. Please setup security as well WPA2 if can if not WPA.

recap 09:17 08 Aug 2007

Thanks Strawballs, that is exactly what she has done, but when trying to gain access to the Internet it comes up Page Cannot be found.

recap 09:17 08 Aug 2007

Thanks Strawballs, that is exactly what she has done, but when trying to gain access to the Internet it comes up Page Cannot be found.

recap 09:36 09 Aug 2007

Computer's who would have em? lol

She decided to just take the PC upstairs and leave it until the morning. She booted up and tried the Internet, and low and behold the thing worked.

Again thanks for your time Strawballs.

Strawballs 18:46 10 Aug 2007

That might be because after setting everything up you need to reboot.

lil27 20:43 10 Aug 2007

Recap,

Please ask your friend to check again with her PC upstairs. I have just wireless connected a PC to virgin cable modem using a Belkin G+ router. Everything works ok in the same room but when I go downstairs I cannot detect the router. I have posted a help on this and am waiting for a response. I don't think its the router as my neighbour detects my modem. I think its the set up of the on board Wireless adapter card in my PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?