wireless

mrmike99 08:59 17 Jun 2006

if i buy two wireless usb adapters for my two pcs and also buy a wirless router do i need anything else to share the internet connection?

Diodorus Siculus 09:41 17 Jun 2006

No, that is all you need if you are on broadband and have a modem. A modem / router combination is better.

If you give more details of your exact setup, we can give more helpful advice - eg do you have a PC near to the phone outlet? It will be necessary to connect one of the pcs to the modem / router with a cable first of all.

Mavericke 10:22 17 Jun 2006

Additional note:
When you are buying a wireless router, please choose a MIMO enabled wireless router. It will do you good.

ade.h 14:16 17 Jun 2006

MIMO is unnecessary in most situations. I have only encountered *one* installation in which a MIMO router proved beneficial to signal strength. In all other cases, 802.11g was/is perfectly adequate. Particularly so when set up and positioned carefully.

You *may* wish to choose a more conventional - and cheaper - boosted system (without MIMO) if you intend to stream large multimedia files. Please bear in mind that all such system are proprietary to a large extent and have only limited "pot luck" interchangeability with other boosted devices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?