Wireless

sootey 13:20 01 Jan 2006

I am changing to BT Broadband this month and would like to know about Wireless. I am with Tiscali Broadband at the moment.
But I want to know about Wireless.
sootey

Forum Editor 13:24 01 Jan 2006

you've posted this in the wrong forum area. I'll move it to the Networking forum, and respond there.

Forum Editor 13:26 01 Jan 2006

we need to know a couple of things.

1. How many computers are involved?

2. Is one of them a laptop?

Answer those points, and I'll tell you what you want to know - or someone else will.

sootey 13:36 01 Jan 2006

I have one computer just a decktop

sootey

Forum Editor 15:01 01 Jan 2006

Forgive me, but why are you thinking of a wireless connection if you just have the one machine?

You can use the broadband service on any phone extension in the house, simply by plugging in a microfilter to the socket, and then plugging your modem into the microfilter.

It's obviously for you to decide, but a wireless router and network card for your PC will set you back a reasonable sum, and with one computer you might not be gaining anything - the wireless connection will run slightly slower that a conventional modem system.

If you do go ahead you'll need to buy:-

1. A wireless modem/router combination, or (if you want to keep using your ADSL modem) a wireless router.

2. A wireless PCI card adapter for your desktop machine. Alternatively you can use a USB adapter if you're not keen on opening the computer's case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone