Wireless - 169.254... instead of 192.168...

GregoryJGrove 10:20 11 Mar 2009

I have a laptop with a shared internet connection. I have a desktop which is connected wirelessly to the laptop. If I force the laptop to have IP 192.168.0.1 then the desktop acquires a correct IP and all is well. However, if I let the laptop acquire an IP automatically, it gets 169.254... and so does the desktop and there is no connectivity. Both are set to connect even if network is not broadcasting and to connect when in range.

Help please - I'm stumped!

Tech Guy 10:48 11 Mar 2009

There is a problem with DHCP.

When your computer starts it broadcasts to get an ip address via DHCP. If it fails to receive an adddress automatically, it will make one up starting with 169..

Go into your router and make sure the DHCP is turned on, and with the correct range i.e. 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254.

If you can't sort it, then just statically asign addresses to all your computers.

ambra4 11:08 11 Mar 2009
  GregoryJGrove 11:19 11 Mar 2009

Thanks for your speedy response.
I don't have a router - just laptop & desktop. If I go into Advanced IP Settings, it has DHCP enabled. Is this significant? I know I can make it work by assigning a static IP but it's a pain when I go to a hot spot and have to switch to automatic Ip and when I'm home to change it back to static.

Tech Guy 11:25 11 Mar 2009

If you don't have a router how do you connect to the internet?

GregoryJGrove 11:29 11 Mar 2009

I also notice that I have DHCP67 and DHCP68 under my wireless modem's settings. Are these significant?

mgmcc 11:51 11 Mar 2009

When you enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the actual internet connection (Modem connection) in the Host PC, *WINDOWS* will configure the network adapter used to connect to the Client PC with the fixed IP address 192.168.0.1 and Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 - there is no Default Gateway or DNS Server address. This address *MUST NOT* be changed. The Client PC gets its IP address by DHCP from the Host PC and this will be in the same range, i.e. from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254

GregoryJGrove 12:14 11 Mar 2009

Please bear with me - I'm trying to keep up. The wireless network adapter is there (network connections) by default. Under its TCP/IP settings it is set to get an IP automatically. On my modem I've enabled ICS. Windows does not appear to be configuring my network adapter. Am I somehow messing it up?

GregoryJGrove 12:29 11 Mar 2009

I think I get it - Windows sets my network adapter with a static IP of 192.168.0.1?

This means that if I go to a wireless hotspot I have to manually change it to auto IP and when I come home back to static?

I am I getting warm?

mgmcc 14:33 11 Mar 2009

>>> I think I get it - Windows sets my network
>>> adapter with a static IP of 192.168.0.1?

>>> This means that if I go to a wireless hotspot
>>> I have to manually change it to auto IP and
>>> when I come home back to static?

Correct. When you enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on your connection to the Modem, Windows gives whichever Network Adapter you connect to the "Client" PC with the fixed IP address of 192.168.0.1 and, if you have more than one Network Adapter that can be used, there will be a drop-down menu to select the appropriate adapter. "Internet Connection Sharing" *MUST* use this static address.

You could use a "wired" ethernet connection between computers for the "Internet Connection Sharing", in which case the Local Area Connection would have the IP address 192.168.0.1 and your Wireless Network Connection could be left to get its address automatically for use with WiFi Hotspots.

Alternatively, plug in a second Wireless Network Adapter (USB), so that you have one exclusively for your "Internet Connection Sharing" and a second for use with Hotspots.

GregoryJGrove 14:55 11 Mar 2009

Thanks for your time & trouble. I appreciate it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?