Wireles home network

User-A1BEEF52-1D14-4722-9F30D7B6199F7FBF 16:26 04 Mar 2003

I run a small business from home and have two desktop computers. One has broadband internet DSL connection (AOL Broadband). I want to be able to work on both computers simultaneously and access my broadband internet connection from the computer that currently doesn't have the ADSL modem connected to it.

Both computers have 2 USB sockets. However the one with the ADSL modem connected has both being used - one by the modem and one by a scanner. The other has one USB socket in use by a digital camera with the other free.

What is the best way for me to wirelessly network these together? Do I need a 802.11b Router or could I fit a USB wireless adaptor to the machine with a spare USB port and a wireless PCI card in the machine with both USB ports in use?

In the future I may purchase a laptop and relegate the rather old machine that has one USB port free to a child's bedroom. Presumably I could use the USB adaptor with the laptop to work anywhere in the house including using a broadband internet connection.

MartinT-B 17:08 04 Mar 2003

I am NOT a network guru.

Reading through forums advice seems to be NOT to connect via USB.

Here is a good beginners basic guide click here

Also, computer buyer this month have an article on home networking for novices.

medwards 22:02 04 Mar 2003

I have just bought two netgear wireless cards from ebuyer (70 quid the pair inc vat) one is a pcmcia card in my laptop (which Im typing this on) The other is usb on my desktop in another room with the internet connection.

I just installed the software first as instructed then pluged them both in and with acouple of settings altered for ip addresses i use and set the wireless network type to ad hoc rather than via dedicated router and it all worked within30 mins.

Yes I have tweaked it since but thats purely for my benefit and I can now also plug my video camera into the desktop and run remote desktop from the laptop so i use my desktop from my armchair ( Capture video and edit ect) while whatching TV in the lounge.

Only one drawback - Im getting lazy.

P.S.
All done with XP.

Gaz 25 22:15 04 Mar 2003

posts on setting up Internet connection sharing and network in this fourm.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone