Wired and Wirless network Problem

sheargraphix 13:08 29 Dec 2006

Hi Guys,

Ive just bought a laptop and a router yesterday. Ive set up the router so that my pc and laptop can use the internet, with the pc using an ethernet cable and the Laptop using a wireless network card. Im using a belkin G Router.

The internet is working fine but what I would like to do is also set up a way of sharing data between the pc and the laptop. Ive got an external hard drive connected to my PC and I would like to be able to use it while on the laptop.

Would i need to change my current set up that looks something like this:

Modem - Router - PC and laptop

to

Modem - PC - Router - Laptop

I dont always want the pc to have to be turned on to use the net so id rather my current style of connection was used (im aware if it was off i couldnt use the external hard drive)

How would i go about setting this up, any help would be great.

Thanks,
Ross.

mgmcc 14:21 29 Dec 2006

If you have a separate modem and a Belkin router then presumably you have *CABLE* broadband from NTL/Telewest?

That being the case, the router's WAN port remains connected to the Cable Modem's ethernet port and both computers connect directly to the router, either by ethernet cable or wirelessly.

In each PC, set any folders that you want to have available over the network as "shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option. At least one folder should be set as "shared" in each PC.

Configure any firewall software to allow access to the networked computers, which may involve entering their IP addresses in a "trusted" section.

That should basically be it. Go into "My Network Places" and expanding the folder tree should show *BOTH* computers in each PC. Expanding further, should show the "shared" folders.

As regards the external drive that, or folders within it, can also be set as "shared" and available over the network.

sheargraphix 15:03 29 Dec 2006

Thanks for the response. Im having some problems with it. On my pc i am able to see the laptop but i cant see any files, it simply says i dont have permission.

On my laptop it doesnt show me any other computers and it also says i dont have permission.

Am i doing something wrong when setting up the network. Any ideas on how this can be fixed?

mgmcc 15:10 29 Dec 2006

The most common reason for problems accessing the remote computer is a firewall. It must be configured to allow access by other networked computers.

If you are certain that firewalls are correctly set up, try entering the path to the remote computer directly into the address bar or the path to a shared folder in the remote computer:

\\computername

\\computername\sharedfolder

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?