Wired to Wireless

Abel 12:04 02 Oct 2010

I have a wired desktop system which I’d like to make wireless. I purchased a ‘Sitecom Wireless USB Micro Adapter 300N’ and I have a choice of a ‘Netgear Rangemax or DSL G624T’ wireless router. What else do I need and how do I go about setting things up?

Abel

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:00 02 Oct 2010

Assuming you have a modem plugged direct to pc via USB?

1. take telephone cable from from and plug to new router.

2. Router should come with ethernet cable, connect router to ethernet port on PC.

3. Run the CD that comes with the router. This will ask you to input user name and password for your ISP. Now you should have a connection to the internet via the ethernet cable.

4. It will then take you through setting up the wireless network, It will ask for or show you a name of the network (ssid) and ask for or show a wireless passphrase (security key)
(make sure you select WPA-PSK2 encryption rather than WEP its much stronger.)
What ever pass phrase you use, write it down in case you forget it.

5. Run the software for the Wireless adaptor and input the ssid (name of your network) and the passphrase.

Once done you should then be able to disconnect the ethernet cable and run from wireless only.

Abel 14:15 02 Oct 2010

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ I'll have a go at that, it apears relatively straightforward. While I'm quite reasonable at manipulating software applications, when it comes to anything to do with hardware or setting things up like wireless, I'm a little bit inadequate. I learn better by example that reading about things

Abel

Lots of how-to videos on YouTube

click here

Abel 14:27 02 Oct 2010

Thanks undyer I'll have a look see.

Abel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017