wired and wireless

  orihuela 14:16 10 Jan 2007

I have a desktop PC which is wired with a BT broadband modem. I also have a laptop which I would like to use but wireless.

Can I have one wireless and one wired. If so, what do I need to buy to enable me to use the laptop wireless.

  keef66 14:28 10 Jan 2007

A wireless router. Router is wired to the modem, desktop is wired to the router, laptop talks to router wirelessly.

Alternatively you can get a wireless modem / router, sometimes misleadingly called a broadband router, so you have one box which replaces your existing modem.

  iscanut 14:59 10 Jan 2007

Router/modem..one lead into phone line filter, attach to main pc with lead to Lan socket, network card. Use a USB receiver in USB socket on laptop, this talks wirelessly to the router.

  keef66 09:59 11 Jan 2007

Good point. I was assuming the laptop had wi-fi built in. If not, as Nuts suggests, you'll need a wireless adapter which come in usb or pcmcia flavours.

  orihuela 15:29 11 Jan 2007

Yes, my laptop does have wi-fi built in so I presume I need a new wireless modem/router - is that correct?

  keef66 17:52 11 Jan 2007

yes, or just a wireless router to connect to your existing modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017