Wired v Wireless speed

chub_tor 15:28 06 Feb 2007

A general question purely for my interest....

I have two PC's networked into a Netgear DG834 (NOT wireless) ADSL Router. The two PC's talk together via their network adapters using 10/100 NIC's. My ADSL internet connection from the Netgear Router is nominally 8Mb MAx with typical download speeds of between 5 and 6.

Out of curiosity - and because I got it for free - I have connected a Belkin Wireless Router (which does not have an internal ADSL modem) as an access point to the Netgear ADSL Router and have USB dongles on each of the 2 PC's.

I know that if I remove the wires from the Netgear the 2 PC's now communicate between themselves at a theoretical maximum of 54Mbs which is slower than the wired connction but they do this quite successfully.

My question is what happens with downloads to either PC from the internet? According to the router statistics I remain synced with a speed of 6100 Kb and if I run a Speedo test it all seems the same as with a wired connection. But I just feel that pages download a lot slower on wireless than they do with wired. Is this generally true of wireless downloading or am I imagining it?

Strawballs 22:30 06 Feb 2007

It should not matter for downloading because your router at 54Mbs is well in excess of your 8Mbs connection speed the only time that you would notice is transfers between machines.

chub_tor 12:56 07 Feb 2007

Thanks Strawballs, that's how I had it figured, it just seemed that pages were slower to download. Maybe I had just cleaned out the temp internet files or something.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?