wired or wireless, that is the question

Williamthefifth 11:27 10 Jan 2008

Dear Forum
This is my first ever post. We are having our house extented soon and have the opportunity to have most of it (the important bits anyway) wired with CAT5. My question is, is it worth the extra cost? Currently my wife and I both work from home, and we both have Sony Vaio laptops and both work wirelessly using a Netgear router. NB We also want to have a home server of some sort, for business and personnal files (pictures, video, etc). What would be the benefit of ethernet connections vs. working wirelessly? Could be just use powerline adaptors to increase the wireless range? Any advice greatly appreciated!

Kemistri 13:07 10 Jan 2008

In you position? Take the opportunity without hesitation. The reliability and LAN transfer speed will, no doubt, be valuable to you.

ambra4 15:40 10 Jan 2008

There is the advantage in the transfer of data a hard wire computer will transfer data between computers at 100/1000Mbps

A wireless system will transfer at 54Mbps

If at any time you need to access the router to change the setting it is strongly recommended by All router suppliers that you use a physically connected cable to the Router via a Ethernet RJ45 cable for router setup.

My personal view leave the desktops hard wired and only use the wireless system if there is a laptop in house that need to access your local network to share files, printer, and the internet.

There is also security question with going wireless, as your system data can be access thought the wireless system

A hard-wired system can only be access by connecting a physical cable

Personal I would always go with a wired system

If you are not going to use the wireless system for now disable it in the router until required

Williamthefifth 10:02 11 Jan 2008

thanks for all the advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?