wired network problems

ian-inhome 19:28 21 Jan 2006

I have 3 computers running on a wired home network.
All worked well until recently.
All 3 run windows xp pro.
1. The 2 "slave" computers are only able to access the internet only if the windows firewall is turned off in the main computer. This has the built in modem (broadband).
2 The main computer can see and access all files on the 2 slave computers. The 2 slaves can see the main computer if I select "view workgroup computers"
But clicking on to that just brings up the message
**Main is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission. ACCESS IS DENIED **
All files are set for sharing
Any ideas please

madPentium 19:46 21 Jan 2006

If you disable the windows firewall on the main computer, does the network function correctly?

ian-inhome 20:17 21 Jan 2006

No Internet sharing then works. but the main computer is still not accesible.

madPentium 22:34 21 Jan 2006

ok personally I would do away with the windows firewall, it's basically not very good.
Try sygate or zonealarm, both are very good and you can configure it to allow the ip addresses of the other 2 pcs to access it.
In the LAN settings, is the firewall on? the windows one? There is usually a firewall option on the internet connection, and one in the lan settings too.

ian-inhome 09:44 22 Jan 2006

I have tried with all firewalls off and various other combinations. I have the 2 slave firewalls on at the moment and the 2 slave computers can access the internet. The main computers firewall has to be off. I still cant find any way to give the 2 slaves permission to acess the main computer.

::. Relpyer .:: 15:53 22 Jan 2006

On your Main computer are guest acounts activated. Because if they are not it will not work. Also for the Windows Firewall, if you want to use it. Open the prompt and click the tab Advanced. IN the box below select your 'Local Area Network' and click Settings and select and edit the options for your own use.

ian-inhome 16:20 22 Jan 2006

Thanks for the reply
The guest account was turned off.
Turning this back on has not made any difference.
I also find that with the firewall off on the main computer i can access most web sites on the slaves but not all. For example on the slaves i can access Microsoft office update site but not Microsoft main update site. I look at a couple of Spanish holiday webcams. 1 comes on no problem the other comes on with just the text no picture.
On the main computer all work perfectly.

ian-inhome 19:37 27 Jan 2006

Thanks to those who replied
The answer to one of the problems was in this months magazine
on page 181 under "tip" " pass it on working at last"
Adjusting the registry as suggested restored file sharing. I looked for other items that could repair the firewall problem without success. I then tried a xp repair, again without success. A reformat and fresh installation cured all problems including other odd problems I had such as a problem where copying CDs to media player 10, some times I could record a number of discs without problems other time the system would crash with "Bad pool caller" evry couple of tracks. Also at odd times the screen would go blank for a second when using various programs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?