Wired Network?

dumb_haddik 09:56 16 Apr 2006

I have recently decided that i wish to network 2 computers in my house.

i have done a search, and have come up with plenty `wireless router gobbledygook`.

my question is:

Can i get two of the PCI network cards which are about £7 each, and network them with a single wire, and will i still be able to share folders between the two computers (and send Remote Accesses?)

Thanks in advance

dumb_haddik 09:59 16 Apr 2006

I dont want to buy one of the routers because they outstrip my £30 budget, and also, can you tell me which cable i need?

Thanks

mgmcc 10:21 16 Apr 2006

Yes. Just be certain to get a *CROSSOVER* ethernet cable to connect two computers directly, "Network Adapter to Network Adapter"

The adapters need to be given an IP address and there are basically two options:

1) If you intend to share your internet connection, enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the actual internet connection (modem connection) in the "host" PC. This will automatically configure the Local Area Connection (network adapter) with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

The "client" PC's Local Area Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "host" PC.

2) If not using "ICS", the adapters need to be given an IP address manually. Right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties. Highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button. Select the option to use the following IP address and enter:

IP address 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Do the same in the second PC but give it the IP address 192.168.0.2 with the *SAME* Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0

Any firewall software should be configured to allow access to the 'networked' computers.

mgmcc 10:23 16 Apr 2006

If the PCs are not very old, they may well already have network adapters installed. It is rare for PCs not to have them these days.

dumb_haddik 18:08 18 Apr 2006

I custom built these pcs, and it looks like at least one has the network socket, and just to confirm, the second option in your response is if neither of these computers want to be, or are connected to the internet.

Sorry, but i'm also not sure what type of cable a `crossover` cable is a website link would be greatly appreciated

thanks again

dumb_haddik 18:10 18 Apr 2006

mgmcc

in your second response, you mentioned firewall software, does it need to be on/off, and does this include xp's built in firewall

mgmcc 20:06 18 Apr 2006

<<< i'm also not sure what type of cable a `crossover` cable is >>>

When connecting two computers together directly - "Network Adapter to Network Adapter" - a special cable with some of the connections crossed over must be used. A standard "straight-wired" cable is used when connecting to a hub/switch/router.

Crossover cable - click here

<<< you mentioned firewall software, does it need to be on/off, and does this include xp's built in firewall >>>

Firewall software should not normally be turned off, but should be configured to allow local network traffic to pass through. If you are only using Windows' firewall, in its settings you can allow File & Printer Sharing in the Exceptions tab.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone